Monday, March 16, 2009

It's 7:06am and I just got back from my spinning class. I teach this class every Monday morning at 5:30am. It was an awesome class full of the "magic" we group fitness instructors are taught to bring every time we teach. I love it when almost 30 members are moving together and really getting into the music - it's amazing energy. But, the best part about teaching this class is what I listen to on the radio while driving to and from the gym.

On the way there I listen to Pastor Todd of Radiant Church. This morning he and his wife were talking about how men are mono thinkers and women are stereo thinkers. In fact, they said that when a boy is growing up the connections between the left brain and right brain are deteriorated because of testosterone. Women can use both sides of the brain at the same time. This explains why my husband gets frustrated with me while I'm telling a story. I start with one idea and that makes me think about another and that one makes me think about another idea, but if he would just be patient it would all make sense in the end. But, inevitably he has a hard time following and therefore interrupts - then I get frustrated.

Pastor Todd's wife also warns him when "that time of the month" is approaching. It's seems odd to me that I'm 35 years old and still don't have an handle on this, yet. She described herself as feeling inadequate, like she couldn't do anything right, like everyone is against her. I can TOTALLY relate. Once in a while I get angry that no one cares about the house as much as I do. No one cares about the car, their toys, bikes, the garage, putting things back in their place and in general just taking care of what we have and keeping it nice. Of course this is untrue, but once a month I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who really cares. It makes you wonder how a woman could ever be president. I'd definitely like the job, but I don't think I'd be good at it until I was at least 50, or so...

Then, on the way back from my fantastic workout *smile* I listen to Alistair Begg. Probably one of my favorite speakers of all time. He's been going through a study of Ecclesiastes and it has been faith building.

He said, "Every skill and every pleasure we have in this life ultimately mocks us unless we know who's the source. And, lasting pleasures cannot be found in passing fads or fancies."

Under the same theme of "there is nothing new under the sun" - he sited text C.S. Lewis' book The Great Divorce. Lewis lays out this scenario of a man, someone he describes as a searcher, having a conversation with an angel at the gates of heaven. He is invited to come in and reminded that there is no need for his talents or his knowledge, just forgiveness for his corruption of them. And the man says, "We must all interpret these beautiful things in our own way. Remember when you were a child and your curiosity prompted questions and you felt a sense of accomplishment when those questions were answered? Become that child again, even now. Always looking, always searching." Yet, the bible says, when I became a man, I put away childish things. Pastor Begg notes that silly ideas are silly ideas whether they were written about in the 1940s or in the 2000s. There really is nothing new under the sun. Hell will be full of people who say, "There is no one answer."

He concluded with this passage from the end of Ecclesiastes:

11 The words of the wise are like goads, their collected sayings like firmly embedded nails—given by one Shepherd. 12 Be warned, my son, of anything in addition to them.
Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.
13 Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.
14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.
Even in the days when Ecclesiastes was written God reminds us there are a lot of books out there and you can read and study all you want, but "much study wearies the body." The words of the "One Shepherd" are our filter and be careful of "anything in addition to them."
What I love about this teaching is that it comes from a man who had all the riches anyone could possibly want and the means to do anything he wanted with them - and he did - and he found it was all meaningless.
I want to write those words again:
HERE IS THE CONCLUSION OF THE MATTER: FEAR GOD AND KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS, FOR THIS IS THE WHOLE DUTY OF MAN.
FOR GOD WILL BRING EVERYTHING INTO JUDGMENT, INCLUDING EVERY HIDDEN THING, WHETHER IT IS GOOD OR EVIL.
There are a lot of books, devotionals and studies out there - be careful not to weary the body.
Pastor Begg likes to quote sayings and song lyrics. He uses The Rolling Stones and the Beatles often. Today he said, "The main things are the plain things and the plain things are the main things."
Keep things plain today, enjoy the blessings God has given you and obey His commands.
*Note: I'm talking to myself first then all those who care to listen :).
P.S. You can listen to Alistair Begg on www.truthforlife.org.

No comments: