Wednesday, March 4, 2009

It's all meaningless!

Ecclesiastes is a very interesting book in the Bible. Just reading the first few sentences provokes a lot of thought.

"Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

Wait a minute! How can God's Word say something like that? I've been contemplating it all. One of my first thoughts was about our time here on this earth. We put so much importance on finishing school, finding a job, finding a spouse, finding a house, having children, raising children, getting them to finish school, find a job, find a spouse...When you look at it that way it does all seem pointless.

Another thought that ran through my head was the statistic that you hear all the time asking people who are approaching 100 what they would have done more of in their lifetime and it's never things like work or clean or organize. They say things like: spend more time with my kids going to the beach or the zoo...spend more time with my wife, taking her out to dinner, buying her flowers, romancing here...spend more time traveling, seeing new places, meeting new people...

Vance and I watched "The Bucket List" this weekend. One of the first things that popped into my mind was "What a waste." Morgan Freeman's character worked all is life, could answer every question on Jeopardy and all that was disappearing with him. All that knowledge he had stored up in his head - what good did it do him?

These kinds of thoughts make you reevaluate how you live, what you're living for and just what purpose does it serve anyway? I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like for a non-believer...we spin our wheels then we die?

Well, I just wanted to post something...believe me I have a finished thought. I've just run out of time for tonight. I'll post more soon. Until then take a look at this...

The kids all lined up to watch a movie after dinner tonight. No, I did not stage this. Vance asked me if I had. They must all really like each other *wink*. Once again, looking a bit ragamuffin, but what can ya do?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just got on to catch up - when I was in college I took an ethics course I had an assignment in which I memorized a poem I don't even rmember the name of it but It talked about all the waiting we do. We cannot wait to be old enought to-drove a car, graduate, vote, drink, get married, have children, retire etc.. That we miss the important things. Sort of alongthe same lines that you are talking about. Anyway I think abou it too. Take care & God Bless!
Kat