Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I've got a few minutes as I have fish sticks, tater tots and corn dogs cooking in the oven for lunch. Today is Wednesday and it's the first one I've had off in several weeks (not including the ski week, but that's not necessarily time off). I can honestly say that it feels weird to not have anything to do tonight. It makes me feel so much more free.

To add to this great day, Vance is around as well. He's been working down in Pueblo so he usually leaves at 6:30am and doesn't return home until 8pm. Today he has a small job here in town that should only take about 3 hours and he and his friend Kyle from Double Diamond Homes are starting on a huge renovation for our pastor today - felling trees. They're even going to let one fall on the garage - which they're demo-ing anyway. Hopefully, we can get some video of that.

I made a good breakfast of cream of wheat, toast and fresh oranges then we started school. Glen started with Algebra. My absolute favorite subject. It took some time, but he got used to the idea that "x" is actually a number and you need to go through all these rules and steps to figure out what "x" is. Ryan is reading (and still reading) Acts 3 and 4 and answering questions about the passages. He's been working on this assignment for two days. Today I told him he will be sitting there until he finishes.

After Glen was finished with Algebra I told him to find the Presidents book and choose one to do a research paper. He chose Theodore Roosevelt. He read about three pages of summation on President Roosevelt and stopped about every five minutes to say, "Mom, guess what..." I'm glad he's excited about it because he wasn't when I first told him the assignment.

Glen was really emotional today. I think it was because he couldn't get the math right away. He excused himself and said he had to go to the bathroom, but when he came back I could tell he had been crying. I asked him why he was upset and he said he didn't know. He said, "I don't know why I cry when I talk to you and Dad. It's so stupid. Even now I can't keep the tears back. I don't understand why I'm so sensitive." I told him that God made him sensitive and he said that he didn't like the way God made him. I said that sometimes I didn't like the way God made me either, but He knows a ton better than we do. Truthfully, I think it may be more than just sensitivity. Glen is 12 and already showing signs of puberty.

While all of this was going on I did an exercise for all the "Littles" plus will. We started with stretching. Then, I showed them how to do push ups and sit-ups. Then we did a song called Shake Freeze where you shake until the music stops then freeze. We Will Rock You was clapping and marching to the beat. Pollywog in a Bog was squats (that looked like frogs). I we ended with Fireflies - kind of a cool down - walking all over the living room pretending to be fireflies.

I felt like is was a productive morning and I wanted to remember it.

1 comment:

momandpops said...

Hi Rachel. . . just read your blog and it was most interesting to read. Glad you are back in the groove again. Really touched my heartstrings and I know yours too. I'm real proud of you. It will pay great dividends! Love you. . . Mom