Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Survivor

I have a devotional series I'd like to share over the next couple of days. Here's the first entry written by Kay Arther from her book Teach Me How To Live.

Have you ever ridden the waves on some ocean beach? I'm not much of a swimmer so I never go out beyond where my feet can touch solid ground. Plus, I can't stand to get water up my nose. It makes me choke, cough and sputter like a whale with hiccups! Yet I enjoy the waves if I can stay in control of the situation. Watching for that wave to come along, catching it at its crest and allowing it to propel toward the shore is grand fun.

But have you ever been picked up by a wave, pitched head first into the surf, and held there by the relentless force of the water? I have, and I can tell you I was terrified. I tried desperately to regain my footing, and my throat burned from all the salt water I was swallowing. All dignity gone, crawling on all fours, I clawed the sand frantically trying to get up only to feel the undertow dragging me farther from the safety of the shore. Fighting with all the energy of one who has been terrorized, I finally made it to my feet. Choking violently I stumbled toward shore only to be knocked down again as I was hit by a second wave and dragged back toward death. Engulfed in the water, I couldn't even cry for help but I pleaded inwardly, O God, don't let me drown. Head over heels I turned until I hit bottom. Finally getting to my feet, weak, belching, and choking, I was caught for the third time and taken under. With all that was in me I fought the waters and cried to God. I didn't give up. I didn't want to surrender to the waters. I wanted to live.

Those who have never been so overwhelmed or caught so helplessly in such and undertow could never understand my panic and my desperate effort to survive. They would only laugh, kid or condescendingly say they were sorry. But those who have been where I was would know how I felt. They could relate. They would understand my struggle to survive and they could shake their heads and say with empathy, "I know the feeling. You survived because you were determined you weren't going to give up." And it is true; the survivors are those who "fight the good fight," those who persevere. If you do not persevere, you have surrendered!

A life lived for Jesus, a life lived at the cross, a life that follows Him fully will always be a life that is contested on every hand in one way or another. Waves and undertows may knock the breath out of you, pulling you under, leaving you gasping and choking. Men may not hear your cries, but God will - "O God, don't let me drown."

"The cords of death encompassed me, and the terrors of Sheol came upon me; I found distress and sorrow. Then I called upon the name of the Lord: "O Lord, I beseech Thee, save my life!" Psalms 116:3, 4

No comments: