Saturday, December 13, 2008

Tagged at Christmas

Alrighty, Alexis. I think the Rachel you mentioned in your blog was me and I was sent an email with these same 25 things from someone else and thought it might be fun so here goes...

1) Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? I like both. After reading two blogs talking about an eggnog latte I’ve really got a hankerin’ to try it.

2) Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? We do both. This year little Rachie is getting the coolest tricycle I’ve ever seen and there’s no way we can wrap it. Vance doesn’t like getting up early so there’s always an unwrapped toy or two for them to play with until we can drag ourselves out of bed.

3) Colored lights or white? I like both. Our tree actually has both. It actually looks like something you’d find in Las Vegas.

4) Do you hang mistletoe? No, but that would be cute for a couples Christmas party.

5) When do you get out your decorations? Every year I say I’m going to start in October, but we just got our decorations down from the attic yesterday.

6) Favorite holiday dish, excluding dessert? Mashed potatoes and gravy. Sometimes I shock myself with how much I can eat.

7) Favorite holiday memory as a child? My mom never ceased to amaze us. Even when we were on welfare and living in Section 8 housing, she always managed to give us a good Christmas. When my mom married my step dad we got a video camera and he always got out of bed before we did so he could film us getting up with our bed heads. So early, in fact, that it was still dark outside when we opened presents.

8) When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? My little brother told me. We were living in Alaska and Stephen brought me downstairs and opened a closet to show me all the unwrapped gifts waiting for Christmas Eve. I was so sad.

9) Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? We open only one gift on Christmas Eve. It gets the kiddos really pumped for Christmas morning. Oh, my goodness that sounds horrible.

10) How do you decorate your trees? We try to stuff every ornament, every string of garland (wooden ones), every kid craft, lights on our little tree – and this year I added sprigs that stick out of the tree.

11) Snow, love it or hate it? I used to hate the snow around here because we seemed to get so much of it and it make everything so muddy. I really like it now. It makes it feel more like Christmas. Our front yard is still covered with four or five inches with a remnant of a snowman from the last snow. We’re supposed to get some more tomorrow. Let it snow. Vance is outside chopping firewood right now to prepare.

12) Can you ice skate? I can, but I like roller skating better.

13) Do you remember your favorite gift? I got a Cabbage Patch Doll the year that so many parents were fighting over them in stores. I was so excited that I sliced my hand open on one of those copper staples that held the box together.

14) What is the most important thing about the holidays for you? “Holidays” yuck. I’m beginning to hate that word!!! Christmas this year has become very personal. I’ve taken to studying Advent, The Pronunciation and the Virgin Birth. Amazing, just amazing. I look at my little Tristan and cannot believe that the God of the Universe would choose to take that form. So strange and wonderful.

15) Favorite Holiday dessert? I love blueberry and blackberry pie. My mom used to make this and I’ve found that the Sam’s by our house must have my mom’s recipe. I can’t get enough.

16) Favorite Christmas tradition? Reading the Christmas story from Luke 2.

17) What tops your tree? Normally I make a big bow out of plaid ribbon, but this year we bought a wrought iron star.

18) What's better giving or receiving? I love to give gifts. I think I would like to receive more if someone really put A LOT of thought into what I would like. I feel like Lucy on the Charlie Brown Christmas movie… “I never get what I really want.” I’d rather have someone just write me a nice note - no, really!

19) Favorite Christmas song? I love that version of “I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas” that’s on the movie “Home Alone” Do, do, do do – do – do – do di do.

20) Candy Canes, yummy or yucky? I’m sort of in between yummy and yucky. – Yumcky.

21) What do you want for Christmas? I’m with Alexis. I think I want another baby. I’d also love to see my children really happy and not get a terrible case of the spoiled rotten brat syndrome that seems to happen after receiving too many presents.

22) Do you attend an annual Christmas Party? We have an annual worship team Christmas party. I wish we could do one for our friends and family.

23) Do you dress up for Christmas eve? Our church always has a Christmas Eve candle light service. Yes, I’ve got the cutest dresses for my girls and my boys will look so handsome in their sweaters.

24) Do you own a Santa Hat? Nope. I’ve never been that type.

25) Who do you normally spend Christmas with? That’s a secret.

2 comments:

Alexis said...

Of course it was you.

As for what we want for Christmas... I think something changes in you when your baby dies...you can never have too many and you know a whole new ache.

I got your card yesterday. It made me cry...the good kind of cry...thank you.

Nicky Stade said...

Yay! You did it, too! You're the only Rachel I know who blogs. I love the answer to the last one..."It's a secret". LOL