Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thanksgiving

It's December. All my plans for being able to really celebrate this time of year and make it truly meaningful have gone out the window. The house is a disaster again, my home schooling schedule and being purposeful to spend quality time with my kids, Christmas cards, decorating, everything is out of control. I'm back at that place once again where I don't even know where to start. And...I'm tired.

But...there's one thing I know...I've got so much to be thankful for. I will sing praises to God and bless His name. For He is good and his mercies endure!


Thanksgiving was good this year. We decided to stay home. One of Vance's very good friends came to visit us during this time. I was moody and the house and kids were a bit of chaos so, hopefully, he enjoyed himself.








I cooked mashed potatoes, sweet potato pie, green bean casserole, stuffing, homemade apple pie, homemade chips and salsa, honey ham and Vance and Jim deep-fried the turkey. I cooked for four hours and didn't take any pictures. What a bummer. We've been feasting on all the left-overs since the big day. Vance made a turkey tortilla soup. It's been nice not to have to cook several meals so, I guess the four hours was worth it.




We also celebrated Glen's birthday. He was born on Thanksgiving Day in 1997 and it's taken 11 years for his birthday to fall on Thanksgiving Day again. He asked for a new bike. The pictures are of his face when he saw the gift and how happy he was to receive it.

We also got our first real snow that very weekend. We got about two feet out here. The kids built a mighty fine snowman.










Christmas Treasures of the Heart
Reach Out to Those Who Need Fellowship
Invite a newcomer, an elderly couple or person, or a friend who will be alone this Christmas to attend your church's Christmas Eve service. Ask ahead of time and include some fellowship time together and snacks shared around the tree before you go.
I would take this a step further and invite them over with your family for your Christmas meal. Vance and I have done this with people from church who do not have family in town. Relationships are such an important part of our lives and I can think of few better things to show the love of Christ.

No comments: