Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Terry Family Christmas Newsletter

Some of you may receive this letter, but I thought I'd post it on our blog, too.

This year I have been studying Advent and have been impressed at just how special this time of year really is. I have been struck with wonder and awe of our Amazing God. I’m thankful for this blessing since Christmas can get all discombobbled and too familiar.

Advent is a time of expectant waiting. Waiting is not a popular idea, but Advent is different. It literally means “coming” and is not only a reminder of His first coming, but a time of expectation for His second. I imagine Mary and Joseph, Elizabeth and Zechariah, Anna, Simeon, the three “Wise Men” and the shepherd all waiting. Waiting on the promises and prophecies they knew so well. Waiting as we are today. They saw that promise fulfilled with their own eyes. We may have that same privilege. In the meantime, I will be waiting expectantly. As Elizabeth said to Mary “Blessed is she who believed that the promise made her by the Lord would be fulfilled.” Luke 1:45

So, here’s a little about the family…

Vance is working and running Absolute Best Painting, Inc. for the 12th year. We are extremely blessed to continue to have work in these turbulent economic times. He is providing for our many children. On that note…we believe that God provides for each child so if we have more we know He will provide for each additional one J.

Vance also leads a men’s Bible study at 6am on Thursday mornings. This is a real God thing because I know He has called Vance to minister and disciple and I’m so glad he is able to continue in this gifting even though He does not have a position at a church. God really does work in GREAT and mysterious ways.

I (Rachel) delivered my eighth child this year in August and, as many of you know, he was almost 11 pounds. I can’t kiss him enough. There are not enough hours in a day (or night for that matter) to hold him.

I continue to work as choir and vocal director at Mountain Springs Church which has grown to over 3000 members. God has been faithful to see this dream and desire realized. I love being able to minister through music.

I still sell Mary Kay. I still teach group fitness (mostly indoor cycling and hip hop). I still home school. I still run the office part of Vance’s business. And…this year I started blogging. There probably is something very wrong with me J. BTW – you can get more updates on the family at www.homemadesalsa.blogspot.com.

Glen just turned 11. I can already see some manly traits starting to show through. He takes his responsibility as being the oldest seriously. Yet, he still has that little boy wonder and excitement about him. He has this excited dance that he has done since he was small. He tries to hide it a little now, but Vance and I both get a great kick out of watching him do it.

Glen’s interests are riding his new bike, creating stories (he wants to write a book about dragons), playing with his brothers and neighbor friends and anything having to do with computer games. It doesn’t matter which game system or computer.

Ryan is 9 and is our challenge child. He’s so close to Glen in age, but is really nothing like him. He has a sharp, quick tongue. He can be brilliant one minute and not so the next. He loves to talk; he loves to think. He does both at the same time so sometimes it’s hard to understand what he’s saying. I think one day he will be a great orator.

Ryan’s interests are creating things outdoors like forts and such. He also likes making things out of paper. He makes a paper crown for each person in the family on their birthday. He loves science experiments and art. There are some days he will draw all day long.

Will recently turned 6. He is the most gentle and loving child we have. I should clarify that he’s not gentle physically but emotionally. He has such a tender heart, but he can tackle his daddy to the ground. He loves to spend time with his dad. He goes to work with Vance at least twice a week. They drive around town to job sites and paint stores and home improvement warehouses.

Will loves to run. Whenever Glen and Ryan ride their bikes to the park, up and down hills for over a half a mile, Will runs along side them. Then he still has energy to play at the park, run back home and drive me crazy.

Rachie is 4 and is our little princess and she’ll tell you so. We never encouraged the princess thing, but when she started taking the boys’ toys and odd items around the house to pretend she had tea and dresses and babies (Buzz Light-year wrapped in blankets) we thought we’d indulge her.

Rachie’s favorite color is pink. I went shopping for Glen’s birthday bike with her and she picked out a beautiful, Pepto-Bismol pink tricycle and rode it around the store the entire time we were there. She cried when we left. Guess what she’s getting for Christmas?

Kael is 2 and has decided he’s a lion. I can’t count how many times he’s watched The Lion King. I’ve tried unplugging the TV and VCR, but he’s figured out how to plug them back in, get his video tape, put it in the player, press play and turn the volume all the way up (usually at 6:30 in the morning). For the last two weeks he’s been walking around the house roaring.

Morgan is 2 and is the ruler of the roost. She tells everyone what to do and very clearly. She has the cutest little tip-toe run I’ve ever seen. She’s so soft and squishy; the poor girl has to fight to get away from me. She’s so easy to hug and kiss. Actually, she indulges me most of the time. The thing about Morgan is she can make an unbelievable mess out of any food or meal. It’s always a chore to get her and her place cleaned up after meal time.

Tristan is 3 months and will be exactly 4 months on Christmas Day. Oh my boy!!! I cannot put into words how much joy this child brings me. He searches the room for me with his eyes and when he gets a lock he smiles. There are some nights that I wish he would wake up just so I could hold him. He’s so good. I take him everywhere with me and he rarely fusses. He’s just happy to be with mommy. He gets a thousand kisses a day from his 8 other family members.

1 comment:

Nicky Stade said...

Your family makes me smile! Thanks for sharing about them. I wish we could come by for some yummy brined turkey again!