Monday, November 24, 2008

Christmas Giving

There are several items in my home that I use quite a bit that either I enjoy or make my life easier. I thought it would be fun to put a list of these items out there and maybe have others comment with items they enjoy and use often.


There are so many purchases that I've either given or received that were not useful or enjoyable. I think this list will be very helpful in Christmas shopping.


Kitchen:

1. Knife - last year my DH bought me a kitchen knife to rival Rachael Ray's. He assures me that you do not have to pay over $200. However, it's probably wise to invest in a knife sharpening kit. Since I use mine everyday, several times a day, it requires sharpening once every other month.
2. Chopper - I've bought these from Pampered Chef and Tupperware. I've been through three of them. The one I have now is from Pampered Chef and has lasted quite some time. I use it for onions and pickles almost daily.
3. Cutting board - It would be nice to have two. One nice butcher's block and one plastic for raw chicken.


I know it's been said that wives do not like receiving kitchen stuff for gifts. I disagree. If I can get a gift that makes my life easier then that is a truly treasured gift.



Bedroom:
1. Blanket: Know what size bed your gift recipient has and buy a nice velour blanket. The one we have has lasted over 10 years, but I'll be getting a new one this year.
2. Pillows: No one ever thinks of getting pillows for people. We go through pillows so fast around here and protectors don't seem to help much. A down pillow would be extra special.

Kids:

1. No toys: Every year the kids get a ton of toys. They play with them for awhile, but get bored of them quickly. I heard a mom once said she would take the toys they got bored with, clean them, store them, then bring them out as gifts a few months later. I may try this someday. I love stuff from Mardels. A handwriting book for them to practice. Science kits. Art supplies. My kids love this stuff and it helps them grow and doesn't require batteries.

Miscellaneous:
1. Candles: I know there are some people out there that don't like candles, but I love them! I sometimes have 10 candles going at once. I love the fragrance (vanilla, pumpkin, cinnamon) and the heat they put off. They can be very expensive (my favorites are the Yankee Candle jars) so it's nice to get them as gifts.
2. I've always love those little recipes in a jar where are the ingredients are there and all you have to do is throw it together. I've received hot chocolate with marshmallows and cookies, etc. That just made me think of something. I've always loved getting meals every time I have a child; that would be a terrific Christmas gift. Maybe I'm the only one who would enjoy that.

Well, that's about all I can think of, I look forward to seeing other suggestions.

Christmas Treasures of the Heart

Here are two special entries:

1. A friend sent Clement Moore's "A Visit From St. Nicholas" to a local newpaper. It was extremely well received, but Dr. Moore waited 16 years to admit to being the author of what became the beloved poem "The Night Before Christmas." As a professor of theology and literature, he was afraid the poem would damage his academic standing.

2. Santa is a dramatic emblem of a world crying out for a larger-than-life daddy who will love his kids even when they are not perfect and give them gifts to fulfill their longings. - Jack Hayford

No comments: