Saturday, June 28, 2008

All those FUN comments.

I thought you all might find this funny and/or interesting. I think I have the most amount of kids of people who read this blog. Every where we go we get comments. Without fail. Every time we're at the grocery store or Sam's or a restaurant someone comes up to us and makes a comment on our large family size. This really amazes me because I'm not the type of person to just strike up a conversation with a complete stranger, although I welcome any pleasant stranger who wants to talk to me.

I thought I'd share some of these comments with you and some of our responses. Actually, I should say some of Vance's responses (he's a bit braver that I).

1. Are they all yours?
This is definitely the number one question we get. I've even had repairmen come to our house and ask "Are you running a daycare?" The only answers I can give are "yep" to the first and "nope" to the second.

2. And you delivered them all?
Well, that would make them all mine wouldn't it. Or, Vance would say, "No, some of them we ordered from a catalog."

3. You know what causes that, right?
This is where Vance's answers can get real interesting.

4. You know you can get that fixed?
Vance's latest answer is, "Why? I think it's working just fine?"

5. Are you going to have any more?
Their mouth usually drops open when I say, "We'll see..."
Every time we've tried to prevent it from happening we get pregnant anyway. God has his plan and we're open to it. :)

6. To me - You must not work.
O, if they only knew!!!

7. Are you Catholic, Mormon or crazy?
Vance recently came up with an answer to this one that I thought was pretty funny. He says, "We're Catholic-Mormon-Polygamists!" As far as crazy - we don't think so. I've even had a woman ask me if we were part of a religious sect.

8. Better you, than me!
We think so, too!!!

9. I'd have more kids, but I just don't have the patience.
My first thought...hmmm. Then, I usually say, there's one sure cure for that and that is having more kids - they teach you patience. Prayer helps a lot, too!

10. We don't have enough room for more children.
We say, "Well, then you're not stacking them properly!" We got this answer from another large family on the Internet. I thought it was pretty hilarious.

Children are truly a blessing from God and we are abundantly blessed. I said this to a grocery bagger yesterday and he replied, "Well, if that's the way you want to look at it." I just smiled, but thought it's not a matter of the way I look at it - it's truth. This reminded me of a news broadcast we saw a month or two ago that said a recent study stated that families with children are less happy than those who do not have children and that those who say they're happy are just faking it. Where do they get these reports and statistics? So, we're just pretending to be overjoyed when we see our child take his first steps? We're just pretending to have "happy tears" when our child puts her little hands on your face, looks into your eyes and says, "I love you, Mommy!" Give me a break!!!!!

The comments come more and more frequently. Having a large family is not what we planned, but obviously God in His GREATNESS and ultimate wisdom found us worthy to be keepers of these precious ones. Our hope and prayer is that we can be good examples, light and salt in a world that needs to see the love of Jesus.

Everyone with large families get these comments and strong opinions. I thought I'd cut and paste another list I saw on a website called "A Christian Home".

"I'd have more kids, but I'm:
1. ...not able to."
2. ...not patient."
3. ... not organized like you." (ha)
4. ... not financially able to."
5. ... not emotionally able to."
6. ...too old!!" (we are, too... but... )
7. ... not T-H-A-T crazy!" (a-hmmm...)
8. ...enjoying myself, now."
9. ... living in too small a home as it is!!"
10. ... worried about the world they'll grow up in!"
11. ...not religious" (!!!)
12. ...concerned about saving the planet." ( ugh)
13. ... using my education... yadayadayada"


Large Families:
Accept donations of Restaurant size cookware!!!
are CHAOTIC and NOISY and FUN
have no Matching socks...but 58 white non- mates
always have someone to play with... never bored or lonely
lots of babysitters, readers, and rockers
never have a dull meal
are never picky eaters! there's someone to eat it!!!
have ever ready sports team
never have moldy leftovers in the fridge
and yes the parents DO know what causes them...
and no, moms are not supermoms or super organized
do not have overabundance of patience, just lots of opportunities to cultivate patience"

I LOVE HAVING A LARGE FAMILY!!!!!

No comments: