Monday, June 16, 2008

Happy Father's Day


I wanted to write a tribute to my husband. Who knows if he'll ever read this because he's not so great with computers.

I know that God has blessed me and my children abundantly. He has given us a man who loves Him, loves me and loves his children with every fiber of his being. In fact, I don't think Vance does anything without every fiber of his being!

He is our provider and protector and leader. He has a gift of common sense and wisdom that I have NEVER seen on anyone else in my lifetime. He's given me 8 beautiful children and you can see how each one of them holds a special place in his heart. Even Michal Noel - when we lost her he was truly my best friend. In a world where couples who lose a child only have a 50% chance of surviving their marriage, I know it was his strength and love and character that helped me through one of the hardest times in my life.

Vance, I would have never imagined we'd have 8 children! But, I cannot also imagine a better father and husband to have them with. Thank you for the father that you are. I love you with all my heart.

This weekend Vance's mom gave this poem to him and I know he takes his role seriously.

A Little One Follows Me

A careful man I ought to be.
A little fellow follows me.
I dare not go astray,
For fear he'll go the self-same way.

I cannot once escape his eyes.
Whatever he see me do, he tries.
Like me, he says, he's going to be,
The little chap who follows me.

He thinks that I am good and fine,
Believes in every word of min.
The base in me he must not see.
That little fellow who follows me.

I must remember as I go,
Thru summers' sun and winters' snow
I am building for the year to be,
In the little chap who follow me

by Rev. Claude Wisdom White, Sr.

2 comments:

Alexis said...

Happy day after Fathers' day to Vance...

I never could have imagined loving Steven as deeply as I did in the days...weeks...months, leading up to and following Eden's Birth. I totally get it.

Rachel said...

There are two things that would make it impossible to go through such a hard loss - if you DIDN'T have them - an understanding of the Father's love and the love of your spouse. Thanks for keeping in touch Alexis :)