Sunday, October 5, 2008

Firsts

Can I just say, "I'm tired." I've been feeling better than I can remember in a long time, but today I'm very tired.

This weekend has been filled with "firsts". Friday was my first work out since Tristan. Last night we took the entire family out dinner for the first time. The look on the hostess' face when I said "Two adults and seven children" was priceless. Chili's isn't really large family friendly. And, today was our first time back to church since Tristan was born. It takes 15 minutes to get everyone in their perspective classes.

After all of that we had AWANA and Sam's and I'm beat. Now, we're starting another week and Vance will be preparing for another hunting trip. Lord, I'm asking for an extra measure of strength.

There's lots to do this week. My brother Jonathon has a birthday and I'd like to get him something and actually mail it this year. I've got a bridal shower on Thursday and a couple of church meetings on Wednesday.

I had to remind myself again today why I home school. I start thinking about how they might have more fun at public school and how they offer all those reading programs and you don't have to figure anything out on your own. I think about how they'll miss prom or other events like that as they grow older. Then, I immediately remembered the Father Daughter Purity Ball and how the boys could take their sisters and how much better a life lived first for God and His Kingdom is so much better. We'll do things differently than the world does them and so what if people judge us.

I've just got to remind myself every day that I do not need to compare myself or my family with anyone in this world. I know God has called me to be a good wife and help mate to my husband and mother, nurturer and teacher to my children. The grass is not greener. Why is it that I have to remind myself of this constantly?

BTW - to my friend, Alexis: I love reading your blogs and I've copied your idea of blog-a-day for Blogtober. I've seen Nicky do this, too. We'll see if I make it :).

2 comments:

Alexis said...

Awww... I got an honorable mention!

I love reading your blogs too... they encourage me a lot when I am having an off day.

And sometimes I try to imagine what we would have thought if we had read them 18 years ago? LOL!

Nicky Stade said...

As someone who *had* her children in public school...trust me, it's just as exhausting, if not more so! You have to get up early and get everyone ready and out the door on time, and then when they get done with school, you have an hour or more of homework that you have to do with *each* child...man, if they have that much homework, what did they do in class all day? By the time you get homework done, it's time for baths, dinner & bed. And the only interaction you had with your children all day was yelling...hurry! get dressed! do your homework! hurry! hurry!

*sigh*

I don't miss those days at all. Not to mention, before I moved a within walking distance of the school, I had to drive them to school and pick them up in the car. In order to find parking, I'd have to get there about half hour or more before school let out and just sit there in the car. With Emily in her carseat. Talk about a waste of time!!!