Monday, November 10, 2008

The Russian President's Bathtub

This morning, while in the bathroom, Rachie came in and started up a conversation. I guess it was just the first thing that popped into her creative mind. She said, "Mom, I love this bathtub. Is this our bathtub?" Now, I've had a long weekend. No matter how hard I try I seem to pile events on the same day or the same weekend. So, I'm tired. My answer to her question..."No, it belongs to the president of Russia."

I'm not usually a sarcastic person. In fact, I get on Vance quite a bit because he's so sarcastic. But, this weekend was physically and emotionally taxing. Poor Rachie - she tried to answer back, but she couldn't say the word Russia or president.

Here's a good one from Christmas Treasures of the Heart:

A Joyful Single Christmas

I have discovered that being alone on Christmas Day does not have to be lonely. There are so many good people who are willing to share the day with others who are alone, and I usually always have an invitation to go somewhere. As a guest, though, I also realize that families enjoy being alone for at least part of the morning to open their presents, so I usually decline going until noon; hence, I have the morning to myself and they have their "family time" together.

So, I have devised a great diversion that has never failed to give me much joy and beauty on Christmas morning even though I am alone. After a special breakfast, devotions, and reading my Bible, I spend the rest of the time reading my Christmas cards, which I have saved for the entire month just for Christmas morning. I savor every note and the meaning on the cards themselves. Sometimes it takes me two hours or more to read all the cards, and I certainly can't be lonely with so many well wishes. There just is no sense worrying about what I don't have, when I really have so much! By that time, I am hurrying to get ready to go out for the day, in a cheerful mood and ready to entertain and be entertained on this blessed holiday.

- Beverly Rhoades

What is great about this entry is that recently I've had several conversations with older single women. They struggle with their singleness, though. The conversations usually end in me saying that there are so many things you can do with your singleness. Having seven children I sometimes wish I could do more for the body of Christ or for my community, etc. For instance, I would love to serve meals at the mission at Thanksgiving or Christmas. I would love to travel to Africa and help at New Hope Uganda. Or, to Haiti where there are orphanages who need help. There's so much someone who is single can devote to the Kingdom.

Another thought this entry brought up was the fact that I get so many Christmas cards that are never written in. Some of them are just signed by the family and then others don't even offer that much. There's just a printed family name. I dislike these kinds of Christmas cards very much! When I send cards I think of the person(s) I'm sending them to and there's always something that comes to mind that I would like to share. After all, Christmas is a time where we remember the Christ child. He left the most beautiful place - as a KING - to come down to a toilet and be a servant - for a people so very undeserving. The least we can do is offer a few words of love or encouragement in a Christmas card we spend at least $2 to send (including cost of card, postage, etc.)

Why not make a list today of those you would really like to bless this year and write two or three cards a day until the last day of this month. Those special people will be delighted to get such a thoughtful gift the very first week of December.

As I'm typing now with one hand (nursing) it has begun to snow and the twins are watching Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket is singing "When You Wish Upon A Star". There's a roaring fire in the black stove downstairs and my teapot is whistling ready for honey and peppermint herbal tea. To say that I might be getting in the Christmas Spirit may be an understatement.

1 comment:

Nicky Stade said...

Cute story about Rachie! And there are only 45 days until Christmas! =D