Friday, November 21, 2008

Stepping Heavenward

I've just finished a book called "Stepping Heavenward" by E. Prentiss. It was written in the 19th century and tells the story of a woman who, through many trials, grows closer to her Savior and more like Him in the process. It seems to be that stories or writings of those who lived over 100 and even 200 years ago fascinate me. But, this book has effected me greatly. It makes me want to serve God in all I do even the menial tasks, especially those. It has me asking myself how can serve others before myself? How do I teach myself (or let Him teach me) to want less instead of more?

It reminds me how I used to view those who home schooled their children. I remember thinking that I would never home school my children because they would turn out weird. Now I say, "Praise God for that!" I want to be the complete opposite of this world and therefore want as much for my children. After all, we are only pilgrims and really do not belong here.

As the Advent season approaches I want to remind myself and my family why we celebrate. It is to be ever watchful for His returning. To live for Him so that He finds us prepared; our candles lit. I am determined to make this season one of reflection on the One who created all things. To live out the charity that speaks of hoping in everything and everyone; that endures trials and temptations. If we truly love our neighbor we will always believe in him, always expect the best of him, and always stand your ground in defending him. This is what the Bible describes as true love. How far I am from it.

Christmas Treasures of the Heart

Every night before be in December, read a Christmas story to your child.

Life holds no sweeter thing that this:
To teach a little child the tale most loved on earth
And watch the wonder deepen in his eyes
There while you tell him of the Christ Child's birth;
Of gentle drowsy beast and fragrant hay
On which that starlit night in Bethlehem
God's tiny Son and His young mother lay...
- Adelaide Love

No comments: