Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Another Day in the LIfe

Wow! We really had a rough weekend. I've been trying to implement our Habit of Obedience, but we took the weekend off. Every morning we read the passage from a one-year Bible then we go over our Family Mission Statement, we review the verse for the day then the boys do some copy work. Lately, this has been The Ten Commandments, The Fruit of the Spirit, 9 ways to pray for someone, etc.

I believe this sets a good tone for the day, but the weekends have a different feel around here and we tend to have a fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants atmosphere. Not good. The kids were at their worst this weekend...talking back, horrible attitudes, fighting, hitting - you name it they did it. Vance and I tend to be yellers so, put it altogether and we were NOT a family focusing on oneness this weekend.

Yesterday was a little better and today even more so. I have to think that it's the devotions we have in the morning. I told the boys today that we will no longer take the weekends off.

I mentioned a day or so ago that I made a chore chart with a list of daily household duties and I assigned a name to each day that these duties need to be done. The boys have their regular things they know to do i.e. make their beds, pick up their clothes, etc. Then, Glen feeds gunner every morning and Ryan cleans and fills his water. Ryan also does the recycling once a week. But, this other list has made my life so much easier and it's minimal for them since we're all sharing and all we have to do is go to the chart each day and see who does what.

This morning we had breakfast (cinnamon rolls, yum), did our devotions, did a few household chores then the whole family was off to help Daddy get some of his errands done. Once we finished the first we headed to the library. Dad dropped us all off and went to do more errands.
I was able to get most of the books I was looking for plus some free movie rentals. I got three Dr. Seuss books for Ryan to read to the smaller children (and practice his reading at the same time). I got "The 21 Balloons" a reference from another home school mom, which Glen, Ryan and I will all read together and they will learn how to narrate. A book on Shakespeare and a biography of George Washington. We will officially start school the week of September 1, but we're adding things slowly during the summer.

After the library, we went to Chipotle for lunch. I know it's not a fancy restaurant, but you should see the looks on people's faces when we walk in and have the whole family sit down. I try to imagine families like the Jeub's (who have 14) - what kind of looks they must get. They may not go to restaurants any longer. Vance and I have always been a bit brave in this area. Anywhere we desire to go we haven't hesitated just taking everyone with us. Well, I should say, we do think it over a little now that we have 6. The kids were surprisingly well-behaved and as usual we rec'd several comments. Some of them were "Are they all yours?" type of comments and others were about how amazing it was they weren't tearing the whole place apart. We get wonderful comments from the Grandparent types. They always say what a beautiful family we have. I can't hear that enough.

After Chipotle it was on to Wal-mart. I wanted to pick up some cool three-ringed binders for Glen and Ryan to store work from each of our chosen subjects this year. Sadly, they love Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Chaotic. Saturday morning cartoons that I would never have allowed them to watch, but I usually get the comment from Vance "Rachel, you've forgotten what it's like to be a kid." I get this comment often from him. I guess we temper each other. Anyway, the only folders that were to be found were of Hanna Montana (ick). So, I picked up some notebook paper (two packages for $1) and some fruit and we were on our way home.

The babies (Rachie, Morgan & Kael) are all sleeping so it's time for me to turn on the swamp cooler and take a little snooze myself. The baby is quite the boxer, especially when I'm trying to sleep, but it's fun to feel the movement. I'm hoping he'll move enough to get his little butt turned around (he's still breach). It's ok, we still have 5 weeks or so.

I'll let Vance and the boys go to baseball practice by themselves tonight and will make meatloaf and mashed potatoes when I get up and hopefully have it ready by the time they get back. Tonight will be movie night, as well. Maybe I'll give a review or something like that in my next post. :)

Oh, I forgot - when Vance went and washed the car while we were at the library it happened to be our tenth wash and was free - the Wal-mart visit was free, too. I've been getting gift cards. Then, of course, the library movie rentals and books were free. I just had to put all this down - it was almost a completely free day (except for Chipotle and the gas we used) but, WOO HOO!!!

No comments: