Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Baby Update

I had an ultrasound and doctor's appointment today. Everything looks good. Tristan is about 6 1/2 pounds now and, Praise God, his head is down. I'm about 1 cm dilated and will start all the testing at the beginning of next week. They've scheduled me out to the end of August.

Every Monday from this point on I will go to the doctor's office, get an ultrasound, then have monitors attached so they can count kicks vs. heart rate, then have a follow-up with the doctor. It's a bit taxing, but it makes everyone a more comfortable. Especially, since today's ultrasound showed the umbilical cord all around Tristan's face. It looked like he was blowing bubbles. This made me nervous, but the ultrasound tech and my doctor both reassured me that this is a normal occurrence, but they will watch it closely.

The doctor advised me to do kick counts every day. Once after breakfast and once after dinner. I'm to lay on my side and count at least 10 kicks in 20 minutes. This will give me an excuse to slack off a bit :).

There's another hitch. My official due date is August 29, but Dr. Weary talked about inducing a week early or sooner if need be. I thought the 16th would be a good day (since it's Pop's birthday), but he told me that's the day the hospital is moving. They've built a brand new hospital and it's quite a bit closer to where we live than the other - where all the other kids were born. On the 16th they told me that if I go into labor before 5am I need to go to the old location, but if I go into labor after 7am I need to go to the new location. They didn't tell me what happens if I go into labor at 6am on the 16th. I think that's funny - ha ha.

Also, this makes me kind of nervous because what if I go into labor right after they move in and they don't know where anything is? I'm trying not to think about it. Everything is in God's hands. I'm praying for a peaceful and memorable birth to welcome Tristan into the world.

1 comment:

Alexis said...

I am so happy for you Rachel...and I'll be praying everyone is safe and you have a peaceful birth.